U.S. payrolls increased by 661,000 in September, less than what was expected, as the pace of rehiring has slowed and more layoffs are expected. The unemployment rate fell to 7.9 percent from 8.4 percent in August, according to the latest report from the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
- IEA issues dire warning on carbon emissions, says Covid recovery anything but sustainable
- Germany’s biggest political power finally chooses who will lead it into crunch election
- India reports over 200,000 daily new cases for the sixth consecutive day
- Xi says China ‘will never seek hegemony’ no matter how strong it becomes
- Facebook-backed Diem aims to launch digital currency pilot later this year